AAS Teaching Assistantship 2020-2021
The Department of Asian American Studies is seeking:
One or more teaching assistants at the 50% level to teach sections for the 2020-2021 Academic Year. Employment for both semesters is contingent on enrollment and fulfillment of position responsibilities.
The rate of pay will be subject to the Graduate Employment Organization contract for a 50% appointment over a nine-month period. Those selected for the positions will be expected to work hours and meet responsibilities commensurate with those outlined by the Graduate College and the University’s agreement with the GEO (http://www.ahr.illinois.edu/geo.pdf). The position begins August 16, 2020 and extends through to May 15, 2021.
- Teach assigned discussion sections.
- Attend all lectures. Be responsible for grading examinations and papers and/or for assisting the professor or course supervisor in grading. Lead review sessions for course examinations.
- Hold office hours for students for 1-2 hours per week in the AAS building, for the course.
- Generally, assist the professor and/or course supervisor with class functions.
- Be familiar with university, departmental, and course policies on grading, exam scheduling, grievance procedures, plagiarism, and cheating. Attend the campus-wide orientation for teaching assistants conducted by the Office of Instructional Resources at least once.
- Attend all departmental teaching orientations.
- Expertise in Asian American Studies and/or Ethnic Studies
- Experience teaching and facilitating discussion sections.
- Eligible to hold a 50% time assistantship.
- Graduate student at the University of Illinois in a program that has not been designated as cost-recovery or self-supporting
E-mail the following to Christine, AAS Administrative Aide, firstname.lastname@example.org
- A brief letter of application detailing interest and qualifications for the assistantship.
- A current CV detailing your teaching, research, and service activities.
- A list of three references (name, mailing address, phone number, email address).
For full consideration, submit application by Monday, February 28, 2020. For more information, contact Christine Lyke at 333-3736, email@example.com
All applicants will be encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).